Why Swim at the Y?
The YMCA Swim Program is a values-based, water-activity program for children ages 6 months up to and including adults. At the Y, we focus on helping people develop. Each swimmer is challenged to grow and improve while the levels are a tool to help parents understand progress on different items. Children are challenged and not limited to completing a level before being introduced to new skills.
- What are Continuous Swim Lessons?Continuous swim lessons provide Classic and Premium members the convenience to register once in a time slot that fits their schedule. This one time registration is made in the program, not level, that meets both your child’s age and ability. Continuous swim lessons are on-going as long as your child’s membership remains active. Your registration will only end if you choose to move to a different time slot, cancel or put your membership on hold or miss 3 classes in a row without informing the Y.
- Age Limitations and ExceptionsChildren must be of the correct age for a swim lesson program at the time of registration. Exceptions to ages will not be made. If your child is not of the correct age you may register them on or after they have their birthday.
- How to RegisterRegistration in Continuous Swim Lessons is limited to Classic and Premium Y members only. Basic members may upgrade their membership in person prior to registering for swim lessons. Non-members must purchase a Y Classic or Premium membership by visiting the Y in person before registering for swim lessons.
Participation in Lil Dipper 1, Teen and Adult Lessons does not require registration but is limited to Classic and Premium Y members only.
Registration is on-going. Registration will be taken over the phone by calling 250-386-7511 or in person.
- Missed Classes - Y Members' Responsibly to InformAt the Y we understand that families are busy, children get sick and classes will be missed. Members are responsible for informing the Y’s Member Services(not the swim instructor) ahead of time if your child will miss three classes in a row or more. If you do not inform the Y your child will be de-registered from their continuous swim lesson.
- My Child's Progress and Progress CardsAll levels within a program are offered within each time slot. Once your child has completed all of the skills in a level they can start to work on the skills in the next level right away. A mid-season check-in/meet the swim lesson instructor will also occur.
All swim lesson progress cards are available online. Progress cards will be posted in the evening on the day of your child’s swim lesson at the end of each season. To view your child’s swim lesson progress card you will need their membership barcode number. To retrieve their barcode please call 250-386-7511 or visit the Membership Services desk. To view your child’s swim lesson progress card click here. Please note “Spring 2017 Season” Progress Cards will be posted no later than 1 week after the day of your child’s swim lesson – our apologies for the delay.
- Swim Lesson Seasons, Breaks and HolidaysSwimming lessons will continue to run throughout each season of the year with the following breaks: first week of September, Christmas holidays, March/Spring break and the last 2 weeks of June. Lessons continue through the summer following the same schedules. Swim lessons will run on the weekend of statutory holidays but are cancelled on the statutory holiday (typically Monday). Please note Swim Lessons will be on break starting Monday June 19, 2017 and will resume starting Tuesday July 4, 2017.
Swim Lesson Programs
Currently in Red Cross swim lessons; please review the Red Cross and YMCA Conversion Chart
Lil Dipper 1
The Lil Dipper 1 program is for children ages 6 months – 5 years. This non-registered parent participation program includes Splasher and Bubbler levels.
Lil Dipper 2
The Lil Dipper 2 program is for children ages 3 – 5 years. This registered program includes Bobber, Floater, Glider, Diver, Surfer and Dipper levels. Lil Dipper 2 programs do not require parent participation. Should your child need support from a parent please participate in Lil Dipper 1 until they are comfortable without a parent.
Learn to Swim and Stars 1-4
The Learn To Swim & Stars 1-4 programs are for children ages 6 years and older. The Learn to Swim program includes Otter, Seal, Dolphin and Swimmer. The Star Program includes Star 1, Star 2, Star 3 and Star 4.
The Stars Leadership program begins after completion of Star 4. The Star Leadership Program includes Star 5, Star 6 and Star 7.
Teen Learn to Swim Program
The non-registered Teen Learn to Swim program is for teens ages 13-18 years to gain confidence in the pool while learning basic swimming skills.
Advanced Aquatics Programs
They Y offers Bronze Star, Bronze Medallion and Bronze Cross programs. Please visit the Leadership and Learning page.
Private and Semi-Private Swim Lessons
These lessons are for current Classic and Premium members and start the 2nd week of each continuous swim lesson season.
- Private and Semi-Private lessons are registered, are continuous for the duration of the season, and are non-refundable.
- Payment is required at time of registration.
- Make up lessons are not provided and classes cannot be re-scheduled.
- Members are responsible for ensuring there is a 2nd member present for semi-private lessons and both members must be within the same swimming ability.
Registration for each private/semi private lesson season opens Wednesday at 8 a.m. the week before the regular swim lesson season starts. Registration can occur once the season has started – fees will be pro-rated.
Spring 2017 Season:
- Registration starts Wednesday April 12th 8 a.m.
- Season runs April 18th to June 18th
- Registration starts Wednesday June 28th 8 a.m.
- Season runs July 10th to August 27th
Lanes available for swimming for ages 10+.
Open swimming available for all ages in our lane pool. Pool is shared with lane swim at these times. No toys allowed.
Bring the whole family and join us in our beach entry leisure pool where some of the water features will be in action! No water slides or waves during family swim.
Geared for infants and toddlers have some fun in our beach entry leisure pool! Some water features will be available during Kids Splash times.
Open swimming available in our beach entry leisure pool. Check schedule description for availability of water features, waves and water slides. These features may not available during all open swim times.
Bring the whole family to swim in our warm therapy pool. The depth is set to 2ft/0.6m a perfect depth for all ages!
Geared for infants and toddlers have some fun in our warm water therapy pool. Depth will be set to 1ft/0.3m.
Everyone is welcome for swimming in our warm therapy pool. The perfect place to bring your family for some fun, relax or have a gentle water workout. Depth at 3ft or 4ft, check schedule for details.
Therapy Pool Closed
The therapy pool is scheduled for specific depths. The pool will be closed to move the floor throughout the day. Check the schedule to avoid arriving at a time when the pool is closed.