Y Financial Assistance – Membership
No One Gets Left Behind
Y Financial Assistance makes membership available to all. Regular participation in the Vancouver Island Y’s membership activities supports a balanced approach to personal growth, health, and wellness. The Y’s Financial Assistance program is made possible through our generous donors and serves those individuals and families who have the greatest need in our community.
To donate to support this program click here.
Please read through the information below before starting the application process.
- How do I apply?
- Complete the online application. A Registration Services staff will review your application ensuring all information you’ve provided is kept confidential.
- Within 3 days of completing the application you must submit the required documents and create or update your account in the online membership portal.
- Within 10 days of submitting the required documents you will receive an email regarding the next steps. Note: should you not submit all required documents within the time frame your application will be considered incomplete and you will be required to reapply.
- What documentation do I provide?
The previous year’s Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada is required for each person in the household earning an income regardless of whether they are joining the Y (Line 150 is gross income)
If you are unable to provide a Notice of Assessment, please provide one of the following for each person in the household earning an income regardless of whether they are joining the Y:
- 3 months of consecutive pay stubs
- 3 months of consecutive bank statements showing income* only (all other transactions must be blacked out and will not be considered)
*Examples of income include: payroll, income assistance (disability assistance, Employment Insurance, BC Housing Benefit, CPP, Old Age Security), alimony, child support, child tax benefit, tips, cash jobs & GST cheques.
To obtain a copy of your Notice of Assessment call Revenue Canada at 1-800-959-8281 or visit http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/myaccount
- What kind of membership do I get if approved?
Once approved, you are able to purchase online, a continuous monthly membership for yourself or your family. Payment for this membership is by pre-authorized debit from a credit card or bank account. Your approved Financial Assistance rate will discount the membership fee automatically. Upon purchasing your membership all membership policies apply, click here to view the policies. Please note, members who receive Financial Assistance are not able to purchase additional services such as plus changeroom, private swim lessons, personal coaching sessions.
- How do you determine how much Financial Assistance is received?
Everyone is required to pay a portion of their membership fee; it is not possible to join the Y for free. Financial Assistance is for those individuals and families that are unable, but not unwilling, to pay the full membership fee.
Each application is assessed based on their total gross household income and household size. This amount of assistance received is determined during the application process by using the Low Income Cut Off (LICO) Scale. The LICO scale uses gross household income (line 150 on your Notice of Assessment).
To view the Low Income Cut Off Chart used for Memberships click here.
- If I receive Financial Assistance, what is expected of me?
Financial Assistance requires a commitment to participate at the Y on a regular basis as well as follow all membership policies. Click here to review the polices.
- Can the Y deny my application?
Yes. In some circumstances, applications that do not meet the required income level or documentation criteria will be declined.
- Can I cancel my membership or put my membership on hold?
Yes, your membership follows regular membership and cancellation policies. Your approved Financial Assistance will not be extended beyond the one year time period if you put your membership on hold. If you cancel your membership and wish to re-join you must re-apply for Financial Assistance.
- How long is my Financial Assistance valid and how do I re-apply
Upon approval, your Financial Assistance is valid for one year. It is your responsibility to purchase and start your membership once your Financial Assistance is approved.
There are 3 options to re-apply at the end of your Financial Assistance period (1 year).
- Members with Financial Assistance may email firstname.lastname@example.org and agree to a 10% decrease in their Financial Assistance 30 days prior to the end of their Financial Assistance Period (1 year). A new application form is not required for this option. This option is only available after the first year of a Financial Assistance approval. The second year of Financial Assistance you must complete a full re-application.
- Members with Financial Assistance may choose to complete a new online application to re-qualify at the same or a new amount of Financial Assistance. Members must re-apply 30 days prior to the end of their Financial Assistance period (1 year).
- If the member does not email for a reduction (option 1) or re-apply (option 2) their membership fee will be automatically increased to the full fee.
- How do I create or update my Online Service Portal account?
- How do I send in the required documentation?
Email all required documentation to email@example.com
If you don’t have access to a scanner or the ability to take a clear picture and email you may visit the front desk at the Y and ask the staff to scan the documents and email to you. The staff will scan the documents as you present them. You are still responsible to email the documents into the Y for your application.
Other Funding Sources
Sport Assist (Langford Residents only)