Recognizing that health has many determinants the Y strives to create programs, opportunities and experiences that enhance community wellness. Health encompasses more than just physical activity. In its broadest terms, Community Health Programs offer inclusion, safety, respect, care, laughter and learning within a stable and supportive social network.
Young Moms Program
The Y’s Young Moms Program at Kiwanis Family Centre offers safe, stable, affordable housing for young mothers (aged 16-29) and their child under the age of five years. The program offers an opportunity to live free of violence and substance use. Staff provides flexible individualized support to women working towards their goals including parenting, schooling or employment, emotional and physical wellness, and connecting with their community. Women retain their independence while building resilience, skills and strengths in a community living environment to transition successfully to independent living with their child.
- Program InformationA variety of programming is offered that is accessible to both resident moms and the community. Our free drop-in runs every Thursday from 10am-noon, with a healthy breakfast, playroom for the little ones, and a parent and child craft project. We also offer Food Skills for Families, Mother Goose, Nobody’s Perfect, Triple P, and a variety of fun and interactive workshops for our resident and community parents.
- Services Offered
- Individual counseling and emotional support
- Group programming for resident moms
- Parenting support
- Interactive workshops
- Resource referrals
- Advocacy support
- Accompaniment to appointments
- Activity groups for children and youth
- Weekly breakfast drop-ins
- HeroWorks Spring 2020 Radical RenovationLike many local charity spaces, Kiwanis House is overdue for a massive renovation that will see the space get caught up on some much needed TLC and increase its capacity to offer support to more young moms long into the future.The transformation of Kiwanis House will include:
- Design and construction of two brand-new 2-bedroom basement suites, increasing occupancy by 25%
- Re-furbish and re-fresh the 8 existing suites
- Design and build a better family free store
- Design and construct a nature playground
- Re-designed front landscape to maximize parking for staff and residents
- Repair and upgrade a laundry list of worn and weathered details around the building
- Apply the “HeroWork touch” to the entire property. If you have been a part of a Radical Renovation, you know what we mean!
Learn More and Support the Project
Support the Young Moms Program
To support the families of the Y’s Young Moms Program make a donation today.
Pandora Youth Apartments
The Y’s Pandora Youth Apartments Program is a safe and affordable transitional housing and lifeskills program for youth ages 15-19 with eight self contained bachelor units. Youth who may be experiencing social isolation, poverty, substance abuse or trauma are supported to strive for and attain their educational, employment and wellness goals with the assistance of experienced counselors. Housing support, lifeskills programming, nutrition and cooking groups, counseling, advocacy, and fitness are some of the many supports offered.
Power of Being a Girl
The Power of Being a Girl is a one day conference hosted by the YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island during YWCA Canada’s Week Without Violence. This initiative provides young girls ages 12-14 in different school districts with the tools to empower themselves and build self-esteem. The goal is to have participants better equipped to deal with the various forms of violence that may impact their lives.
Thank you to the Following Major Supporters
Young Moms Program and Pandora Youth Apartments
Power of Being a Girl
The Trudy & Doug Peden Charitable Foundation