Outpost is for campers who have finished Grades 6, 7 or 8. Adventure in the outdoors is the core of the Outpost program. While at camp, our Outpost campers hone their outdoor living and pursuit skills by learning about low-impact camping and travel under their own steam. As a group, campers learn to be effective paddlers or hikers by practicing advanced skills as taught by our certified instructors. In the Quest program, each out-trip offers different challenges in a unique environment. Outpost Quest campers plan and pack for their trip. They also take an active role in camp duties such as setting up camp, cooking and clean-up.
Campers finished grades 6-8
• 9 campers, 2 counselors
• 5, 9 or 12 days
• Base Camp program with all nights at camp or Quest programs with out-trips.
• Out trip choices: sea kayaking, coastal hiking, canoeing
• Swimming, canoeing, kayaking, archery, rock climbing, orienteering, hiking and a high ropes course
• Environmental education, creative programming, and campfires
- Outpost Base Camp (5 Days)Base camp is a great introduction to camping and the outdoors for Outpost age campers. This five-day program focuses on building skills and confidence for camping and outdoor pursuits. Outpost Base Camp participants practice skills such as canoeing, hiking, kayaking and archery, play team building games, and enjoy campfires. Base Camp participants sleep in cabins at camp and do day trips away from the core of camp.
- Outpost Quest (5 Days, with overnight out-trip)Five day programs have a one-night hiking out-trip on Camp Thunderbird property. These are similar to Pioneer Quest trips, but with a slightly longer hiking distance seeing further reaches of our property in the Sooke Hills.
- Outpost Hike (9 or 12 Days, with 3 day out-trip)Nine or twelve day Outpost Hike programs travel along the north end of the Juan de Fuca trail from Botanical Beach to Sombrio Beach. They camp at Payzant Creek and Little Kuitshe Creek campsites. This end of the trail is a less challenging portion and well suited to the age group of the campers. The distance traveled is reasonable and the overall elevation gain is minimal in comparison to other portions of the trail and other marine trails. These factors make this trip the ideal location for campers to discover the joy of walking through the natural world. The pace is set to be achievable for all participants, and normally the group travels approximately 7 kilometers per day.
- Outpost Kayak Southern Gulf Islands (9 days with 3 day out-trip)Outpost Kayak campers explore the natural beauty of the Southern Gulf Islands. Depending on the group they will camp on two of Portland, Rum, Sidney and Darcy islands. This trip is a good stepping stone from our base camp or quest hiking programs to our kayak and canoe programs. Most campers travel in a double kayak, but each group takes a combination of single and double kayaks. Paddlers can expect approximately 2-4 hours of paddling per day. While there is no portaging, campers help with loading and unloading boats at campsites each day.
- Outpost Kayak Northern Gulf Islands (12 days, with 4 day out-trip)Outpost Kayak campers explore the natural beauty of the Northern Gulf Islands. Sharing the water with wildlife including seabirds and marine mammals, kayak campers travel to and camp on three or four of the campsites on Tent, Wallace, Galliano, Valdez and De Courcy Islands. Most campers travel in a double kayak, but each group takes a combination of single and double kayaks. Paddlers can expect approximately 2-5 hours of paddling per day. While there is no portaging, campers help with loading and unloading boats at campsites each day.
- Outpost Canoe Sayward Lakes (12 days, with 4 day out-trip)Outpost Canoe campers spend 4 days paddling on the largest freshwater canoe circuit on Vancouver Island: the Sayward Forest Canoe Route. The group travels on the route between Brewster Lake and Mohun Lake, camping at one of the many wilderness campsites along the way. Paddlers can expect approximately 2-5 hours of paddling per day, with rest stops to enjoy the scenery. There are some portages along the way, with the longest being 2.3kms. Challenging but rewarding!
FAMILY INFORMATION PACKAGE
Information in this booklet is updated every year, and all of the information is vital for your camper(s) to have a successful experience. Please read carefully even if you have been to camp before! Life at camp is different from the routines and patterns of home. Taking the time to talk with your camper(s) about their upcoming experience is an important step in preparing. Setting a positive tone and clarifying expectations can really help your child make the adjustment. In doing this, your child will take the most out of their Camp Thunderbird opportunity.
2019 Dates and Fees
|Outpost Base Camp||5||$611||July 8-12, Aug 26-30|
|Outpost Quest Camp||5||$611||July 15-19 – FULL, July 22-26 – FULL, Aug 12-16, Aug 19-23|
|Outpost Coastal Hike||9||$1196||July 4-12, Aug 1-9|
|Outpost Kayak||9||$1360||July 4-12 – FULL, Aug 1-9|
|Outpost Coastal Hike||12||$1537||Aug 12-23|
|Outpost Kayak||12||$1686||July 15-26 – FULL, Aug 12-23 – FULL|
|Outpost Canoe||12||$1610||July 15-26|
Please be on-time(or early) and be prepared to sign in and out your camper by showing photo identification. Need to add an authorized pick up person email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Going to Camp by Car
Driving your camper… review the drop off and pick up times below. Approximate driving times: 60 min from Downtown Victoria, 45 min from Saanich, 25 min from Langford
Transportation Location Drop Off Pick Up By Car at Camp Thunderbird 5040 Glinz Lake Rd. Sooke, B.C. 9:00 AM 3:30 PM
- Bus from Downtown or Langford
Bus space for overnight campers is limited and fills up fast!
Transportation Location Drop Off Pick Up Fee Each Way + GST By Bus Downtown Y 851 Broughton St. Victoria, B.C. 7:50 AM 5:10 PM $18+ GST By Bus Westhills Y 1319 Westhills Dr. Langford, B.C. 8:30 AM 4:30 PM $18+GST
- Bus from BC Ferry or Victoria Airport
Busing is available ONLY on the specific dates listed and with limited availability.
Campers arriving via BC Ferries must ARRIVE on the 7:00am ferry and will DEPART on the 4:00pm ferry.
All campers ARRIVING by AIR to the Victoria International Airport (YYJ) must arrive by 9:00am. DEPARTING flights should be booked to leave AFTER 4:45pm. The earliest campers will arrive at the airport for their DEPARTING flight is at 3:30pm.
Please do not book any airfare until you have received confirmation that your camper is registered for their camp AND transportation. It is strongly recommended that you review the BC Ferries and/or Airline rules and regulations regarding unaccompanied minors.
Transportation Location Camp Start Dates Camp End Dates Fee Each Way +GST Saanich Penninsula Bus BC Ferries or YYJ Airport July 8, July 15, Aug 5, Aug 12 July 12, July 26, Aug 9, Aug 23 $51+GST